Skim through these 19 Surprising Facts about Egypt and find out what you do and do not know about this mysterious land of Pyramids and Pharaohs.
1. The World’s oldest known woven dress was found in Egypt, and is about 5,100 to 5,500 years old.
2. The World’s largest Pyramid lies not in Egypt, but in Mexico.
3. America’s Statue of Liberty was originally going to be a Muslim woman wearing an Islamic robe, holding a torch and was intended to be built in Egypt, but was rejected by Egyptian officials.
4. The lost Egyptian city of Heracleion that was submerged under the Mediterranean was discovered 1200 years after its disappearance.
5. Both Egyptian Men and Women wore make-up. They believed their lead-based cosmetics, specifically Kohl and eye paint protected them from the harsh sun as well as gave them magical healing properties.
6. Ancient Egyptians believed that by preserving a dead person’s body, their soul would continue living in the afterlife, hence they mastered the art of Mummification.
7. If you unwrap an ancient Egyptian Mummy, the bandages could stretch as far as 1.6 km.
8. The Great Pyramid of Giza was built with 2.3 million stone blocks.
9. A theory in Egyptology believes that the position of the three largest Pyramids of Giza exactly aligned with the position of the 3 stars in Orion’s belt when they were built.
10. The Great Pyramid of Giza weighs as much as 16 Empire State Buildings and as many as 30 Empire State Buildings could be built with its masonry.
11. Ancient Egyptians shaved their eyebrows off to mourn a cat's death and also mummified the cat’s body.
12. Egypt has recently unearthed a 7,000 years old lost city that once belonged to its high-ranking officials and tomb builders of its First Dynasty.
13. The Ancient Egyptians worshipped more than 1,000 different Gods and Goddesses.
14. There were toilets found in many Ancient Egyptian tombs.
15. Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone.
16. When the Mummy of the great Pharaoh Ramesses II was sent to France for restoration, he was issued an Egyptian passport, making him the first Mummy to have a passport.
17. There were traces of nicotine and cocaine found in a few Egyptian Mummies, suggesting that the ancient Egyptians might have travelled to America around 1,000 BC.
18. Contrary to their usual depiction, many ancient Egyptian Pharaohs were overweight and suffered from diabetes because of their diet that consisted of alcohol, bread and honey.
19. Egyptians were the first people to invent toothpaste.